Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Ramblings

I have about three weeks left at the Delta AHEC...time is flying by! I am learning so much about myself and the world everyday, and it's hard to analyze and categorize here in the moment when I am still trying to soak everything in and process it all. I am a firm believer in hindsight is 20/20.
I really love my job. The kids from camp are great, and a bond is growing between us and the children. Everyday is a learning experience, aka what works and what fails when working with the group of kids we have. Working at DAHEC has really got me focused on what health means to the individual and to the community. So often we think of health as merely the absence of disease. This view leads us to believing we get sick and a doctor will just be able to fix us. We will be brand new again. We forget that health is a daily task. If we don't take care of our bodies, then who are we to assume that a doctor can fix every problem we have brought on ourselves? I am not saying that all sickness is the fault of the individual...that is certainly not true. But between laziness, unhealthy eating, drugs and alcohol, we do a lot to contribute to our own problems. The experts say that prevention is always easier than intervention; then why is intervention much more popular than prevention? These issues just scratch the surface of public health, and the mission of the Delta AHEC. I am so thankful that I have been put here this summer. Especially after studying public health/medicine in India, my experiences in Arkansas are complimentary to this educational journey I have been on for the past ten weeks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Se você quiser linkar meu blog no seu eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso.(If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada.If he will be possible add my blog in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Flores Online, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://flores-on-line.blogspot.com. A hug.